The Solicitor - The FindLaw UK Life, Family and Workplace Law Blog

Man Sells Disabled Sister For UK Marriage Visa

| No TrackBacks

Last week, the printed a story about Michael Wright, 22, of Swindon, who 'sold' his disabled sister to a Chinese man so he could obtain a UK marriage visa.  Reading Register Office almost married the 'couple' before police stormed the building to stop the wedding.

Four people were arrested - Wright and three Chinese men - on a variety of immigration and perjury charges.  The woman, who has not been named, is now in the care of social services.

UK Marriage Visa Rules

If you have legitimate relationship with a person in the UK, you can apply to live in this country as his/her:

- Husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried/same-sex partner

If your visa application is successful, the UK Border Agency (UKBA) will let you enter and live in the UK for two years.  Shortly before the end of the two years, you can then apply for  in the UK.

- FiancÈ(e) or proposed civil partner

If your visa application visa is successful, the UKBA will let you enter and live in the UK for six months while you get married or register your civil partnership.  You can then apply to switch status (e.g., into the category of husband, wife or civil partner).

- Relationship breakdown

If you or your partner has permission to enter or remain in one of the above categories, you must tell the UKBA before he/she has been given indefinite leave to remain.

- Minimum age

You cannot obtain one of the above visas if either you or your partner is under 21 on the date when you would arrive in the UK or the date when your permission to enter or remain would be given.  For more information about this age restriction, see .

- Partners of people who have limited permission to enter or remain in the UK as a worker or a student

The rules for partners of people who have 'limited permission to enter or remain in the UK as a worker or a student' are different: or  for more information.

** Additional Information & Advice **

You can obtain further information about immigration on the or .

Depending on the circumstances of your case, however, it may be a good idea to .  You can be for free via solicitor matching services, which can also help you to understand the best course of action for your situation and whether you are ready to hire a solicitor.

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: